Sunday, September 24, 2006

Things I like about Michigan

* The way that on some days, the clouds go screaming across the skies on wind so strong it seems as if the world outside my window is set on 'fast forward.'

* The way folks get geared up and excited about things at very large scales. I'm particularly speaking of football. I watched the Michigan vs. Wisconsin division opener with my grandfather yesterday and after the game he was getting calls from friends and family as far away as Texas to talk about the game. The Wolverines did hand Wisconsin a lost, but neither the coaching or the playing was as clean as it should have been. Not like it was in their route over Notre Dame. [And the Spartans handed the Fighting Irish a brutal lashing in the torrential down pours in Lansing last night, setting up what is sure to be a marvelous battle between themselves and Michigan in the Big House--that's what Michigan's stadium is called--two weeks from now.]

* That brings me to another like: College Football! I'm not much a sports junkie. I keeps tabs on the Tigers, Redwings, and Pistons, but not much more until post season play starts. But man, do I like to see these college games. Especially from my alma mater, Michigan. It's just one more fun, positive, enjoyable reason I'm proud to have gone to that school.

* Nature. My parent's house is in the middle of nowhere. Well, it's a little closer to the edge of nowhere these days, with sprawl being what it is, but regardless, it's remote. Byron, a village of some...800 people I would imagine...is two miles south. Gaines [where I grew up the first 6 years of my life and even smaller than Byron] 5 minutes north by car, Durand, 10 minutes. And none are what you would call bastions of civilization. So, the predominant rural character of this place, so different from Vancouver, is refreshing [though, admitedly frustrating]. There's my grandfather's garden and orchard which I've been plundering most every day for apples, pears, grapes, and tomatoes. The ants, hornets, rabbits, raccoons, birds, and deer seem fine with the loss of my share. With 8 acres between the families, there's a small portion of wooded land to wander in, swales, wet areas, weeds, and thicket. Edges like you can't imagine.

* I love the stars. Being remote makes star gazing possible. I haven't taken the opportunity to do so yet, but the simple fact that it's there is quite sublime.

* I'm enjoying the family. It's been a long time. My aunt and uncle from Lansing were out the other night. We went to my cousin's son, Jackson's, 2nd birthday day party. It was a Blue's Clues Party, so everyone had to come in orange and blue [the most wonderful pair of complimentary colors, in my opinion]. It was nice to just hang out and observe and talk. I love the little kids though. They are, beyond any doubt, the most amazing people on this planet. And adorable to boot! Their innocence and gullibility is charming, though I fear I'm going to be known as "Cleatus" with far too many of them.

* Teasing! My family is a dangerous and playfully entity. We show our love and affection through a wide variety of jokes, whitty quips, and playfully malicious humor. You aren't a part of the family until you've been teased and learned to tease yourself.

* I like taking trips through time. Cleaning out my room has given me a great opportunity to look back and reflect on how far I have [or haven't in some cases, as I type with my favorite Star Wars toy--a TIE: Defender--setting close at hand] come. It's especially interesting to flip through the old college tests and essays and papers. I must say, I was a most impressive student, once upon a time and just as sarcastic, ironic, and snarky! The professors ate it up! And man I was the cutest little boy EVER!

* I like the changes. Specifically, it's obvious that fall is approaching. All too obvious. It's frickin' cold out! But the weather changes daily. Heck. Hourly. Sunny, rainy, warm, cold, blustery, quiet... And the leaves are changing on the cotton woods and ash trees.

I like change.


Change is good.

No comments: